Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dirty Hair???

I know this depends on the hair type, so I'm just offering this as a friendly suggestion! 
BUT, I've been told by quite a few "beauty experts" that you are not supposed to wash your hair everyday! 
Please recognize that I'm not saying "don't shower everyday"... def. not saying that :) (I wear my purple shower cap or I take a bath on my off days)
Anyways, reason behind this philosophy is that shampoo supposedly strips your hair of its nutrients, it can also dry it out, AND for those of you that color, it strips the color much faster!
I've also heard that if you think that your hair is too oily, thats actually because your hair is so dry that the oil glands are actually over producing, so you're actually better off not shampooing everyday. Make sense?
Anyways, if you choose to try this out, here are a few options for you on your off days.. 
If you have blond hair, you can try sprinkling a little cornstarch in the roots to soak up the oil and give a little volume. You can also try a couple "dry shampoo sprays" for any hair color, by Pssssst (yes, there are that many s's) If you are a "high roller" there is a great powder or spray by Bumble and Bumble, OR I have a friend of a friend who just sent me a sample of her own line! Its actually super cool and lasts a long time, so its acutally pretty affordable, and you can get it catered to whatever your hair color is! Here is the link for that: http://finleyhair.com/

5 comments:

  1. I have such a hard time with this because I feel like a total greaseball if I don't shampoo every day. Plus, when I work out, I get all sweaty so it feels gross not to wash my hair. Any ideas about that??? I have the dry shampoo, but I still look like my head is an oil slick by the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've def. heard that too! It's definitely a personal preference! I'd say if the dry shampoo isn't working (some light hairsprays work too) and you can't stand not washing it everyday then just wash it! I had a big issue with it at first too, but I've noticed the my hair color stays longer (in my opinion) I actually save money on my shampoo (lasts longer), and my hair is def. not as greasy, so I can attest to the dry hair/oily head theory...but again, it's a "to each their own" kinda thing so wash away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a side note:
    I wash my hair every other day. If I'm going out, have an important day, etc...I'll abandon the rule and wash away.
    ONE MORE THING: you could also try what my little sister does. She shampoo's every other day, but conditions everyday. That way, you are actually helping moisturize the strands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I will experiment . . . I don't color my hair, so I'm sure that makes it less dry, too. But maybe I'll try shampooing every other day & conditioning every day. I *might* be able to pull that off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! Tell me if it works!

    ReplyDelete