Monday, April 20, 2009

Skin Stuff

If you are one of the lucky FEW people out there with "flawless skin," then you don't need to bother yourself with the rest of this post....
If you don't, if you are like me and STILL get the occasional breakout, here is some good advice that I've learned after years and years of dealing with this crap:

Acne stems from dead skin cells blocking dirt and oil in your pores. So, if you can find a way to "slough" those dead skin cells off of your face, nothing will be blocking the dirt and oil in, right? That's how Proactiv works. But you don't have to spend all that money to produce the same effect. 
Here's what you do; wash your face with some type of a scrub at least once a day. If you have sensitive skin, go for the mild stuff. My skin is not at all sensitive, so I use the apricot scrub in the shower and I use a facial scrubbing pad to wash my face at the sink. I then use a toner to wipe any excess dirt/oil away (mine is actually a "skin regenerator" too), then use a moisturizer that either A. Is medicated for acne, or B. Encourages skin exfoliation like an Alpha or Beta Hydroxy. 
ALSO, if you are trying to treat a break-out, and you're finding that your "spot treatment" isn't working, check to see what the main ingredient is. Odds are, it's Salicylic Acid... which is in most of the acne products out there. The best thing I've found? Benzoyl Peroxide products work WAY better. I use it to spot treat, but you can find it in face washes and lotions as well. I actually have a prescription (Duac), but a couple products I'd recommend? Panoxyl, Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask. I use this as a mask at "certain times of the month" when breakouts are more apt to happen... and it totally helps! Also, for spot treatment (over the counter) Try Persa-Gel or Neutrogena On-the-Spot. One more thing with the spot treatment? Don't use it lightly... coat it on the affected area. Really works! 
Hope this is of use to someone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment